Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer reading suggestions: 2nd & 3rd grades

Kids who've finished 2nd & 3rd grades often love reading series, but sometimes have trouble figuring out what series to try next. It's crucial that kids read lots of "just right" books, or even ones that seem a bit easy. As a parent, I know that it's hard not to encourage my kids to try harder, longer books. But it's really important for kids to sink into reading, to feel success and enjoyment.

Think of it this way - your kid will get more out of reading 10 fun, easier books than giving up on a challenging classic that's way above his reading level.

Here are our summer reading suggestions for kids who've just finished 2nd and 3rd grade. I've organized them using the Fountas and Pinnell reading levels, which our school uses. I find it most helpful to think of these levels in "bands" of similar levels. As I talk with kids, I really try to get them to think about whether a book feels right to them. This places them in charge of their reading choices, and tells them that I trust them to choose what's best for them.

Please feel free to download these reading lists, print them and share with your friends.





Most of all, try to make summer reading time a fun, relaxing part of your summer!

©2013 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books

No comments:

Post a Comment